Wednesday, November 18, 2009

H1N1


Well the kids and I have gotten our H1N1 Flu vaccinations. Our Tri-County Health Dept. put together a bunch of clinics around our area on different days (probably to keep the masses at bay). There was one last Sat. at one of the local High Schools. No one knew about it until the school district had their "computer" call all the families that have kids enrolled in the district. We weren't able to make that one, but when I got onto the districts web site they have a bunch of scheduled sites. Mon. there was one at one of the middle schools. Again wasn't able to make that one, so Tues. they had another one at one of the other middle schools that Dan has football practice at. I took the kids after football practice expecting a huge long line. I was pleasantly surprised, when we were able to walk right in. It helped that I had already printed and filled out all the consent forms. And for once it helped that I have asthma, so we got bumped to the front of the short little line there was anyway!

I had tried to prep the kids before hand about what to expect and that they would have the choice to snort the vaccine up their nose or have a shot. I told them that I was going to have to get the shot and I didn't have a choice regardless (the asthma thing). Tanner went first and was a little nervous about having something stuck up his nose, but he did fine. Next was Jayla. She CRACKS me up! She sat down and her eyes immediately welled up with tears. The lady asked her if she wanted to have the mist and to my surprise she said NO and that she would do the shot! The tech lady and I both were shocked. We both tried to talk her out of the shot and to do the mist. She just kept crying and said that she didn't want the mist and she would do the shot. Finally after a bunch of coaxing she snorted it up her nose and was totally fine. I still don't know why she wanted to do the shot. After watching the 2 before him Zach was brave and had the mist. The tech let him touch it so he knew there was nothing sharp being stuck up his nose. He did it with out a hitch. Jake was just being 3 and was throwing a tantrum about toys before we even walked into the clinic. So needless to say he was already crying. He got the mist, too. He didn't quite understand, so after he snorted he told the tech that he snuffed up a needle and thought it was funny. Whatever..... he's 3 and I don't understand his thought process. Then it was my turn. Again, I HAD to have the shot. All my kids were watching to see how brave I was going to be. I don't mind shots, that doesn't mean I like them, though. I didn't flinch when I was stuck. I took it like a real woman. But, as soon as she pulled out the needle the blood gushed down my arm. The kids gasped, and Tanner gets a little freaked out by blood. So all I heard was "AAHHH.... my mom is bleeding EVERYWHERE!" in a chorus of 4 freaked out kids. The tech told me I was her first bleeder that night ( surprising since we only got there 45 min before they closed and they had already been there for 3 hours). I wasn't so surprised. I always bleed. Of course now I can't hardly move my arm, and NO I didn't tense my arm during the process, I know better. It's bruised and a little swollen. Oh, well......... at least we won't turn into pigs now (-;

side note- Dan couldn't get one yet because of his surgery that's scheduled for Fri. So he will have to get it after. They have another clinic up this was on the 30th. The best part was that these vaccines were FREE!! YA!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys were able to get the vaccination. I'm sorry you have a sore arm. Me and Dad are still waiting for Kaiser to get enough to offer it to us.
Love~Mom