Thursday, August 28, 2008

Update......

We had our first football game last Sat. To make this short.... we got our butts kicked. But on a good note, we had the best cheerleaders out there! I would have taken pics, but between calling out cheers and dealing with 4 girls (between the ages of 6-9)who were too hot, hungry, and thirsty, I never got to pull out the camera.

Unfortunately, Dan has had a set back in his recovery. He was on the field coaching, when the ball got kicked in his direction and suddenly had a bunch of little football players running at him. He tried to "hop " out of the way and something popped in his calf. He made it to the side lines, and then dropped to his knees. I ran over to him, being the concerned wife, and trying to figure out what had happened. Of course he said it would be fine, so the rest of the game he limped around trying to coach. When we got home, he finally told me how bad it really hurt. I called the surgical clinic that did the surgery. I got the answer I figured I'd get... Ice, elevate, and stay off it. If it gets worse call back, otherwise they'll get him in on Mon.
So Mon. came, I took him in. Diagnosis.... He tore his calf muscle, but not where he had surgery, on the opposite side of his calf. Nothing to be done but take a lot of ibuprofen, pain meds. if it gets unbearable, and crutches unless it feels better and can put weight on it. They'll see us in 2-3 weeks. If it hasn't repaired.......SURGERY, again, YA!

What makes this so sad was that just the day before this happened Dan was saying how great his leg felt, he was staring to walk with out so much of a limp. Now we're back to square one. I feel horrible for him because he has a lot of traveling this month, so he won't be able to take it as easy as I would like him to. Oh, well... we'll/he'll deal with it.

I do have to give some props to the G'parents and Aunt Ellen and Uncle Jason (and dog cousin Roxy). I don't know what I would have done with out them at the game. They totally took care of Zach and Jake.

We are going to have some scheduling conflicts, hopefully not many, because Zach is starting Lil' kickers. It's the 3 on 3 soccer for the little kids. He wanted to play something and I didn't think it would be fair to tell him "No, you can't do anything because football/cheer take up our lives!" It works, though, because he has games on Sat. mornings with Practice 30 min before the game. So no practice time during the week. I am excited though! So far he is the only one of our kids that shows a strong competitive spirit. I will have to take tons of video and pictures to post.

2 comments:

Raenie said...

That totally sucks for Dan. Hopefully he won't need surgery again.
Good luck to Zach in soccer! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Dan's leg. Sheesh. That is crazy. Sounds like the kids are having fun in their activities & I can totally see Zach having the fire!