Saturday, May 23, 2009

Uh oh.... they think it's MONO!


Poor Jayla has had a headache for a couple days now. She didn't even feel well enough to go to the last day of school (may 21) , so I knew there was really something wrong with her. She has either been a sleep on her bed or a sleep on the couch for those couple of days. She is on the couch sleeping as I type this.

I took her to the Dr. yesterday, not really knowing if I really should. She wasn't running a fever or throwing up. Her main complaints were headache, dizziness when she stood up, and a little bit of a sore throat and TIRED. Her rapid strep test came back negative, but her lymph node in her neck is swollen. Her spleen isn't tender and , again, isn't running a fever. The Dr just looked at me and said "I think she has Mono. We can't give her anything, other than you just treating her symptomatically with Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen. " She showed me where to feel for swollen node and said " if she starts raising a fever and the node is bigger or staying the same bring her back".

Our Dr. didn't want to do all the "mono" tests because it requires a lot of poking and drawing blood, which neither of us wanted to do to Jayla (she looked so pathetic :-( ).

So we are just waiting it out. What a way to start summer..... with mono! (maybe....hopefully not!)

4 comments:

ellen said...

Oh poor Jayla! I know how she feels. I got mono twice! Just watch her throat, that was the worst part of it. I couldn't even swallow/eat.

Raenie said...

Oh wow! That's the pits. I hope she feels better soon.

Melissa Rozeski said...

Poor girl. I have mono right after we got married...it's a rough one. I bet she will bounce back better than me though. My kids get off school this Wednesday, let's set up some play dates when Jayla feels up to it!

martha said...

I feel so bad for Jay. :(
What a way to start the summer! I hope she gets better soon.

BTW, crazy schedule, lady - will it let up for summer at all?